This is a great variation on the traditional potato salad, which I tend to find alternately delicious and disgusting depending on how much I can ignore the mayo factor and if I can notice any boiled egg pieces in it. Eggs and mayo are generally foul although I can occasionally make an exception for mayo like on the Davanni’s Veggie Hoagie but that is about it. This recipe makes quite a bit of salad, which I like because it gives me lunches for days at work. Feel free to half the recipe.
-2lb small red potatoes
-½ lb fresh green beans cut into 1-inch pieces
-12 artichoke hearts chopped (not marinated)
-2tbsp pitted and chopped kalamata olives (I love these babies but they can easily be omitted if you don’t)
-¼ cup chopped shallots
-1 small clove garlic pressed
-4tbsp olive oil
-4tbsp white wine vinegar
-2tsp fresh thyme chopped
-1tsp fresh rosemary chopped
-2tbsp chopped Italian parsley (but any kind will do)
-Salt and pepper to taste
-Place potatoes in a saucepan cover with water and bring to a boil. Cook potatoes about 20 minutes or until very tender, add the beans and cook for about 2 minutes but if you want to add them raw later that is also just fine
-While the potatoes are cooking make your marinade by mixing all the delicious ingredients together
-Add artichoke and olive to potato and green beans, coat with marinade
-Cover and chill for at least one hour before serving
I have been all about making delicious salads lately. It has been so hot and sometimes salad is the only thing I can think to eat. Unfortunately, it means I have to keep going to the grocery store to get fresh ingredients. Blah.
I am real excited for the weekend. Looks like the old gang is going to get together and hit up blues fest. It isn’t that we really like the blues all that much, we just like sitting outside in the sun for no reason. Maybe having some snacks, maybe sneaking some sips, maybe playing some cards. Audra is back in town and she is the best for going to sit outside and do nothing. Everyone else is great too. Just not always up for sitting and doing nothing. Then again, I’m not always up for sitting and doing nothing either. Regardless, I missed her these past few outdoor free stuff seasons. It’s going to be like old times. I might even have some ridiculous ruckus to blog about when Monday rolls around. Oh yeah.
1. I’ll do anything/ For my sweet sixteen/ And I’d do anything/ For little runaway child
2. Though you may not drive/ A great big Cadillac/ Gangsta whitewalls/ TV antennas in the back. Be Thankful, not by Curtis Mayfield or Massive Attack (who is it??). Partly identified by Ern
3. Growing up it was just me and my mom against the world/ And all my sympathies were with her/ When I was a little girl. Angry Anymore, Ani DiFranco. Identified by Brooke.
4. Oh baby baby how was I supposed to know/ That something wasn't right, yeah/ Oh baby baby I shouldn't have let you go/ And now you're out of sight. Baby One More Time, Marilyn Manson (although it easily could have been Travis or Brittney). Identified by Monica
5. When you're down and troubled/ And you need some loving care/ And nothing, nothing is going right. You've Got A Friend. Song identified by Monica and artist correctly identified by Mom, although Monica could have been right too.