Tuesday, August 14, 2007

CATCH YOU ON THE FLIP SIDE

Everyone knows that I love TV. Most people know that I love reality TV. I do not apologize for these feelings. That is just how it is. My big three as far as reality shows go are Project Runway, Top Chef, and America’s Next Top Model. I watch plenty of others but those have been the only ones I can’t miss, until now.

Although it may surprise Monica, my new guilty pleasure is not Rock of Love, although I will certainly catch that if it happens to be on or watch it On Demand when I have nothing else to do. That is some funny stuff. No, my new love is none other than VH1’s The Pick-up Artist. I know, I know, the subject matter is disgusting. Why would someone like me who finds the club scene revolting and is all for the feminism (in the true sense) want to watch a show that teaches men how to pick up women? The answer is simple. Pure entertainment.

I hear the main guy, Mystery, is the fella they molded Tom Cruise’s character in Magnolia after. Apparently, his system for picking up women is foolproof and there are nerds all over the world following his plan and having crazy sex. From what I understand the system doesn’t lend itself well to establishing real relationships, which could be a problem. Then again, if you don’t want a relationship, who cares? The thing is, the guys on the show seem to want to meet someone special, or at least some of them seem to feel that way.

Sadly, my favorite trainee, Spoon, left last night on what was only the second episode. Masi Oka’s reject twin was a ray of light on that show. His crippling phobia of the female was absolutely endearing, and he seemed like a genuinely fun person. This is Spoon after his makeover. The other assorted freaks and geeks are more pathetic and I find it much harder to cheer for them. Joe D, who can only be described as the token rosy-cheeked-jolly-fun-tubby-guy-who-never-gets-laid (every frat has one) might be my new favorite. Spoon was so terrified about talking to girls in clubs that he decided to leave the show rather than subject himself to talking to more girls in stressful situations. I liked how he exited though. He said he had already seen a change in his confidence level and that he would be taking it slowly on his own time. The pressure of the show was just too much for him. I can respect that. I’m just sad because I wanted to see him turn into a playa!!!

I will be out of commission for a little while as Tony and I are about to GO ON VACATION!!!! Yeah!!!! We will be driving to Minneapolis tomorrow for a few days with the family and then heading up to a friends “cabin up north by the lake” (some people will know why that is funny) for a weekend of boating and general nothingness. Awesome. See you on the 27th (or maybe before if I feel like it).

Peace.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

ummm...why haven't you blogged about the-n? is it such a guilty pleasure that you hide your love by discussing it only in person or via texts? be proud! spread the joys and wonders of teen angst to the online community :)

Katrina said...

I'm sure I'd enjoy more of the reality shows but HD can't stand 'em. He can only handle the ones that are the very, very least "hokey." And if I watched any that I was even remotely interested in I'd never hear the end of it. Oh well, we watch too much tv as it is.

Have fun on vacation!!

Traveling Matt said...

anonymous...the-n is so awesome. i can't wven lie.

natalie, i LOVE spoon! he was so precious! have fun at the cabin and i'll see you on th set at batman! it's gonna be awesome!!!!!

Traveling Matt said...

i think anonymous is actually the defunct blogger known as tuscanb and also known as my sister but i have been wrong before so whatever

notfearingchange said...

have a good vacation

Foofa said...

Chanda- (cause I know it's you) I have blogged about Degrassi, although only once it was a post from the heart. I realize I have been slightly remiss in my love for The N. Maybe as time passes that will change.

Katrina- Tony hates many of the reality shows I watch. He will sit through Project Runway most of the time but that is about it. He does, however, love The Pick-up Artist. In fact, he turned me on to the show.

Monica-I totally thought it was her too. Particularly since we have been texting about The N like crazy. I'm so glad you love Spoon!!! I am really sad he is off the show. Batman rules.

Notfearing- I totally will, thanks!

thethinker said...

The Pick Up Artist is my new favorite show. Just seeing how awkward the guys were in the first episode was hilarious.

I haven't picked a favorite yet, but I do think that Spoon has a good chance of winning.

Anonymous said...

Hey, please let Chanda know that I'm very sorry I can't take her to NY with me. The van only has 2 seats and it was the only one I could find. We'll have to do some other crazy road trip some other time.

Natalie, enjoy your more-than-well-earned vacation! See you tomorrow.

Mood Indigo said...

Bon Voyage :)

Oh, and I heart Degrassi.

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful vacation Friend!

RandomlyAccessedMemories said...

Reality TV is so far from reality... I liked Survivor until it got ignorant.

Enjoy your vacation. Since I spent so much money on my last ones, my next one will be spent "in a van down by the river".

Blondie said...

Oooh, another reality TV show to suck out my brain? Right now my guilty pleasure is Big Brother because it's on like 4 times a week. So bad, but soooo good. ;)

CS said...

I'm not normally a reality show person, but I've recently gotten hoked on HGTV's Design Star show (I think that's what it's called.) It's a little brutal, but I guess they all are.

Michael C said...

I haven't heard of this but I now feel compelled to watch it!

terry said...

i'm fascinated by this show...

and i'm a fan of all the others you mentioned!

hope you're enjoying your vaca.

With Love, Fat Girl said...

I'm not a huge fan of reality TV, but I was hooked on the Apprentice for several seasons. And, I'm really looking forward to that new Bionic Woman show that's coming out in the fall. Not reality, but looks really good anyway!

Eve said...

Up nort, eh?

Phil said...

Have a great vaca!

Evil Spock said...

Big Top Chef fan. Have fun in Minneapolis! I just interviewed a band from there!

ENID P. said...

I liked spoon also...

ENID P.

little things said...

Have a great time on your vacation!

kim said...

Have fun on vacation. Don't get swimmer's itch. I'll be up there the week after you!

MrPoon said...

Wow, someone actually blogged about me. But that was months ago and things have changed a lot for me. If you want to keep in touch my myspace is myspace.com/iknowspoon maybe i'll hear from ya