Wednesday, December 06, 2006

RANDOM POST

This morning I went to take the Customer Service test to see where I am steering my students wrong and why they are not passing this test. I was slightly nervous because I thought there was a chance that I would not pass the test, thus negating my purpose as an instructor. Talk about ungrounded fears. This was the easiest test I have ever seen in my life. In fact, it is so much easier than the practice test I give the students that I was shocked and amazed. It took me twenty minutes to go through 75 questions. The only things that were on the test that I don’t cover in class were how to figure out discounts and some addition. People should know that anyway. I can go over it and all but gosh. Plus, that was only three questions so that couldn’t have caused them to fail. I also don’t talk much about how to deal with customers who have disabilities but, again, only like two EASY questions. Therefore, there are only three options as to why my students are not passing the test and only one of them should be hard to change. 1) They know it is easy so assume there is no way they can fail and then end up failing, 2) They know it is easy so they don’t really read the questions and then answer them stupidly, or 3) They fail to realize that the test is looking at how to best serve the customer rather than how to best serve the store. The third one is obviously more of a barrier because it involves changing modes of thought. The point is that it isn’t the fault of my curriculum so I won’t have to totally rework it and that is a good thing. I just have to stress a few things here and there and make sure they READ.

One of my old students just came into my office. He was in my first class. His recent certification just helped him get promoted from a service clerk to a service manager at Walgreen’s. That is pretty exciting to me. Not to mention he got another offer to go work for a non-profit to help them expand their business and will be making like 10k more than me and they will help him get his MBA. Huh, that makes you wonder. I need to plan my life.

Tonight is the cycle 7 finale of ANTM. I will be watching but I have never cared so little in all of ANTM history. This show has been going downhill for a while but this season seriously reached a new low. There was absolutely nothing interesting going on at all. They got rid of all the interesting girls in the first few weeks and left us with a bunch of blah looking boring girls who make me want to not watch. The sad thing is that I do watch and will probably watch next season in the hopes that they will come back with some better candidates. Maybe they will get cancelled and I won’t have to worry about it. Speaking of seasons, I wonder if project runway is going to have another season. I hope it does because that is some quality reality programming.

In related TV news, Heroes is still a fantastic and surprising show. I can’t talk about how much I love it and how happy it makes me to watch. I really don’t want Peter to be the one to blow up NYC though. I always thought it would be that radioactive guy. Then again, maybe Peter will absorb his powers or something. I am glad Eden is dead because she really got on my nerves and I wish they would hurry up and kill Nicky/Jessica because she sucks ass too. I like DL and Micah without her boring ass. I also hope Hiro gets his powers back really soon because Hiro without them just makes me want to cry. He is still all positive and happy though so I guess I shouldn’t feel too bad for him. Nathan is evil and I hope Syler kills him soon. I also hope Syler dies soon because I think he is mean and evil. You do need a supervillain to have superheroes though so I guess he will have to stay around. I am glad the Haitian showed some humanity and didn’t erase Claire’s memory. I still don’t know how I feel about her father, something isn’t right about him but at the same time you often are left feeling like he just wants to protect his little girl. I wish Syler would kill him but since he doesn’t have any powers he probably won’t. I can’t wait until the next episode.

On the shuffle today we have:

Talisman, Air- Ok so I know that it is almost 2007 but I recently downloaded Moon Safari and I just adore this album. I liked it back in the day too but never owned it. It really calms me down and helps me get through bad situations on public transportation.

The State I Am In, Belle and Sebastian- Well everyone knows how I (and the rest of the sane world) feel about Belle and Sebastian. If you don’t know, we feel really good. Really really good. I don’t have anything else to say, my feet are too busy tapping and my fingers can’t keep the rhythm.

I Miss You, Bjork- Bjork will always be one of my favorite artists. I think I am the only person who liked her swan dress. I mean I know it was hideous but the thing laid an egg, that kind of humor is priceless. Not to mention the way her music sounds in my chest. I miss that in a lot of people. It would be really fun to skate to Bjork. It would have to be in exhibition though because judges would laugh you off the ice. However, with the new scoring system maybe they couldn’t as much. Interesting thought.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You might be surprised to find out how many people don't know how to figure discounts. Percents scare a lot of people. Even addition scares some folks. But really, don't the cash registers do all that work for people? Making someone figure a discout on a test is anachronistic.

You do such great and important work. You deserve much more $$ than you get...!

Terry said...

Bjork rocks. She's just barely at that level of "crazy" that I find so damn sexy! :)

Traveling Matt said...

it's funny when you are nervous about a test and then you take it and it's so easy it's almost offensive. easiest test i ever took: the placement test for my year at alternative high school. and i was all nervous the night before and ate a decent breakfast that morning. i actually got angry during the test because i just couldn;t believe it!

ShadowFalcon said...

I'm sorry about your students, hopefully they'll get better

Becca said...

Heroes talk: Did he not erase Claire's memory? He's doing something wonky to her. When is the show back on? I need answers damn it.

Foofa said...

Jaclyn- I really want to go to a B&S concert. I am sure Stuart is a nice boy but Stevie has my heart. Thanks for the kind words, they help.

Mom- Sometimes cash registers are broken, not often but sometimes. I do deserve more $ than I get.... Huh.

Should Be- Yeah what would we do without her. Medulla kind of scares me though.

Monica- It just serves me right for being nervous about something so silly. Being proven stupid when you know you aren't is not a good prospect though.

Shadow- Hopefully they will, or maybe I just need more teaching experience. Maybe a mix of the two.

Wobbly- The Haitian told Claire her father sent him to erase her memory but that she was part of something important so she would have to keep it a secret that he didn't. I hope and expect it to be on Monday. I sometimes wish shows i like all existed on netflix so I could just watch the entire series all at once. I need instant gratification.

Traveling Matt said...

dude, i just had a dream last night that referenced the B&S concert that we went to at the Congress Theater a few years ago. Man that one was fantastic! It wasn't as good as the one I went to with Jaclyn though because I got to sing with Stuart. AWESOME!