Thursday, July 05, 2007

MOIST DOGS AND BEER

There is nothing like having a day off in the middle of the week to throw off your schedule. I am now wondering why I didn’t think to take today and tomorrow as vacation days. It would have made so much sense. Maybe I’ll take Monday? Maybe not.

I’m not complaining. I was happy to have the 4th off of work. It is what was supposed to happen. It allowed for some BBQing and that is something that I don’t get to experience too often. Our apartment has a very small back “porch” type area and we aren’t allowed to grill. There was a plethora of fantastic food to be had and more beer was drank that probably should have been possible. For most of the day there were seven people there. Three more showed up later but they didn’t drink much at all. I think there were 60 beers purchased and at least 50 were drunk. That comes to around 7 or so beers a person. It doesn’t seem possible that I drank that much because I barely felt a buzz but I also usually had a beer. I was there for 8 hours. I suppose anything is technically possible.

One thing that really can’t be beat is grilled corn on the cob. Corn was the real motivation for the BBQ. Other foods are just dandy but not much beats the deliciousness of a hot fresh off the grill butter covered cob of grilled corn sprinkled generously with chili powder. That’s the stuff to use people. Salt is for suckers. The meat eaters brought some meat and the boys from Ohio were pretty adept at grill-mastering. That meant that Jamie, our usual and “competent” grill-master got to spend more time chillin'. That’s how it should be.

There were dogs there. Jamie has a French Bulldog and Jaclyn has a Boston Terrier. The two are tremendous friends. They romp and play and are easily the most entertaining thing at any gathering. Unfortunately, their playing leaves them both relatively moist, what with the biting and licking and all, and they like to play underfoot. I am a little freaked out sometimes by moist dog. I know they don’t go around peeing on themselves but you never know. They had a whole yard to romp in and they romped under our feet on the patio. We moved the table into the yard to catch some shade (which terrified me because I know the yard gets poopy) and they romped under our feet in the yard when there was a whole patio to romp on. Dogs are funny. What attention whores they are.

Sometime soon I am going with Monica to find her a doggie. I am really looking forward to it. I am also looking forward to the day when Tony and I can get a dog. We have to get a different apartment first (I am 90% sure) and that is sad because our place is the absolute best. It has a dishwasher. Tat might not be major to some of you but that is big stuff to me. I’ve never had a dog. Tony has. I have my perfect dog in mind but Tony is more of the just find a good one and take it home type of guy. Because of my allergies I think I can be a little pickier and get the dog of my dreams. I hope I hope I hope I can get one eventually. How cute would I be walking this thing around? The Welsh Corgi is my friend. I would take a Cardigan (with tail) or a Pembroke (no tail see above). They are both utterly adorable.

Song 1 is the only one left after the first shuffle. Katrina is one the right track with Green Day. That should bring out the title.

1. Something’s on my mind/ It’s been for quite some time/ This time I’m on to you. Fuck Off and Die (F.O.D), Green Day. Identified by Monica.

2. I got a letter form the DMV the other day/ I opened it read it/ It said they were suckers/ They tried to tell me that my license was suspended/ I got offended for a minute then pretended. Mr. Officer, The Pharcyde. Identified by Monica.

3. I think I’ll walk to the moon/ I don’t think I’ll be back soon/ I’ll take some water and time/ And I’ll be fine/ Yes, I’ll be fine

4. Mommy had/ A little baby/ There he is/ Fast asleep/ He’s just/ a little plaything/ Why not/ Wake him up. Stay Up Late, Talking Heads. Identified by Mom.

5. There lived a certain man in Russia long ago/ He was big and strong in his eyes a flaming glow/ Most people looked at him with terror and with fear/ But to Moscow chicks he was such a lovely dear.

12 comments:

CS said...

Grilled corn is wonderful, espcially if it is fresh-picked. And beer, always good. But that dog - have you, um, he's missing most of his legs?

Evil Spock said...

i love grilled corn, but I usually only indulge at the fair or something. Nothing like chowing down on corn and getting kernels stuck in your teeth in a public place.

I feel hungover being at work today, and I didn't even drink.

Anonymous said...

#4 - Stay Up Late, Talking Heads.

I never thought of putting chili powder on corn. Must try. Sounds yummy.

Jobove - Reus said...

pasamos un rato ameno en tu blog, felicidades

saludos desde Reus- Catalunya

Foofa said...

CS- The Corgi was bred to be a herder, mostly cows. They have tiny little legs so that when the cows kick it goes right over the dog's head. They are a little ridiculous but I think that is part of their charm.

Evil Spock- I was surprisingly awake and ok today. I even arrived early. I am very anal about eating corn on the cob. I use the top of my bottom teeth to get corn off. The result is a very clean cob and very few stuck things.

Mom- One of the booths at the Taste had chili powder for the corn and I tried it. I haven't gone back since.

te la ma maria- I understand just enough Spanish to get the just of your comment. Thanks.

Mrs. Loquacious said...

I stopped reading and started food-dreaming (and drooling) after reading about corn. I love me some good sweet buttered Taber corn, but I have yet to experience the divine pleasure this year. Haven't seen the Tabers yet but I'm planning on hitting the market soon, so hopefully I will score some there.

The best thing about the BBQ besides the meat and the corn? The watermelon. Sweet, juicy, dripping watermelon. Oh and of course if there is a firepit of some sort, smores!

Anyway, glad you had a happy 4th!

Oh and Evil Spock - to combat the corn in the teeth problem I always carry a little spool of floss. It's very handy to get flossing in the bathroom following a corn pig-out. :)

Traveling Matt said...

I think because of my allergies I need a corgi too. I want a beagle or a shiba inu though :( well I know some songs:

1 - fuck off and die - green day

2 -mr. officer - the pharcyde

Katrina said...

mom beat me to #4. I don't care for the Talking Heads at all but I happened to hear this one on the way home Tuesday after work. It's not too bad I guess. The only song of theirs that I really really like is Burning Down the House.

Grilled corn on the cob is wonderful. Maybe I'll try chili powder one day but I gotta admit I am a salt girl.

Thank you Monica, that's been driving me crazy! I was very tempted to cheat and google it but was able to hold off. When at home I never remembered to check my Dookie album which I believe is the album it's on.

Anonymous said...

Re: Talking Heads
We used to make fun of "Life During Wartime" when it first came out, but it's grown on me over the years...

There's a rather obscure Talking Heads song called "Listening Wind" that I like a lot.

One of my favorite one-panel cartoons of all time showed David Byrne and Paul Simon running into each other in a tropical rainforest while ripping off indigenous peoples' music...

kim said...

You are so right about the 4th of July throwing everything off. I came back to work yesterday and everyone kept saying, "Is it Monday?"

Beer is a good thing....

Katrina said...

That's a funny cartoon. Add Peter Gabriel to it and it's even funnier. But I do enjoy Peter and Paul though.

Foofa said...

Mrs. L- I have often thought about carrying floss but then I don't.

Monica- So I already talked to you about this but in the dream that I posted about above Jamie and I were having a conversation about how Corgi's have two coats and then I looked online and they did.

Katrina- I LOVE the Stop Making Sense album but have a friend who doesn't. She was very much tortured by the tape one ride home.

Mom- Yeah you advised me to skate to the beginning of that song for a footwork program. I think it worked out well. Life During Wartime is one of my favorites. "I got some groceries, some peanut butter" best line ever.

Kim- two days later and I still am not quite right. I think I need to go home.

Katrina- I agree, that is a funny cartoon.